The Family Business Center was established in 1999 by Dr. Stan Mandel to address the issues and needs faced by closely held and family firms. Utilizing the capabilities and educational resources available at Wake Forest, in our community and nationally, the Family Business Center has provided closely held and family firms the assistance they need to grow and succeed from generation to generation for the last several years. A second regional center was added in the Charlotte Metro market in 2003.
The significant growth of the Family Business Center led to revisiting its mission and work within the Wake Forest community in 2015. Generous support from Stan Kelly, Don Flow, and Frank Holding allowed for increased staff and resources for this work, and The Center for Private Business was launched in May of 2016.
While the name has changed to be more inclusive of the types of businesses it serves, the Center’s mission is still the same as it was several years ago at its inception: To enable privately owned businesses to achieve dreams for their business, family, employees, community, and stakeholders by providing access to industry leaders, resources, networks, and education.
It is our hope that by 2020 that Wake Forest University will be a catalyst for economic growth in our region and will be an institution more deeply embedded in the economic growth and social prosperity of our region and beyond.
Our Mission and Vision
The Center for Private Business enables privately owned businesses to achieve dreams for their business, family, employees, community and stakeholders by providing access to industry leaders, resources, networks, and education.
By 2020, Wake Forest University will be a catalyst for economic growth in the Carolinas and will be an institution more deeply imbedded in the economic and social prosperity of our region and beyond.
We strive to fulfill our vision by:
- Celebrating the success of privately owned businesses across North Carolina
- Connecting private business leaders with valuable and relevant resources and networks
- Educating and equipping privately held and family businesses with tools to help them grow and sustain long term success
- Leveraging Wake Forest and the experience of our Advisory Board
- Teaching private business owners, management teams, and family members successful growth and succession strategies
- Connecting students and privately held businesses with mentors, job shadowing, internship, and employment opportunities
With Wake Forest providing business education and facilitating strong interpersonal networks, participating private businesses can accelerate growth, sustainability, and success.